Saturday 24 March 2012

Bill Viola talks about his childhood landscape building techniques...

And you did drawings ten feet long as a child didn't you?

Yeah, I invented this planet that was inhabited by humans and of course aliens, I forget the name of it... oh it was called "Clamph" and
I started drawing the landscape of it, in a kind of a horizontal almost oriental scroll like way, and I kept adding with sticky tape more and more sheets of paper, until I was out at about ten feet and then I had the great idea, if I do say so myself, to end the landscape on the final sheet and make it identical with the beginning of the landscape on the first sheet and I wrapped them around and put the last piece of tape together.


Bill Viola.


I found this excerpt from an interview where he spoke about the use landscape and its horizontal appearance

No comments:

Post a Comment